Hair transplantation is an appearance-enhancing procedure performed by a plastic or dermatological surgeon. This process involves the removal of hairs from the side or back parts of your hair and transplanting them to balding regions of your scalp.
There are mainly two types of surgical hair transplants, the FUE (Follicular unit extraction) and the FUT (Follicular unit transplant). Certain factors determine which individuals can benefit most from the hair transplant. On the other hand, it might not be that beneficial for others.
Hair transplant is a good option for:-
- Men with male pattern baldness
- Women with thin hairs
- Anyone who has suffered hair loss from a burn or scalp injury
Hair transplantation isn’t a good option for:-
- Women with a widespread hair loss pattern across the scalp
- People who don’t have enough hairs on donor sites
- People pronto keloid scars
- People suffering hair loss due to medication such as chemotherapy
It is essential to choose a skilled and experienced surgeon, with a good track record of successful surgeries. He should be open to consulting and willing to share the ups and downs of the surgery with you. An experienced surgeon can prescribe the most suitable surgical process, and his expertise reduces the risk of side effects.
Let us understand the two most popular forms of hair transplantation and the risk associated with them in detail.
In the surgical process of Follicular unit extraction, a surgeon extracts hairs follicles from the donor areas to other parts of the scalp where the hairs are thinner or absent. Surgeons use micro punches to extract individual follicles and transplant them to the recipient areas of the scalp.
- The FUE procedure is safe for eligible candidates. It has minor side effects, such as tiny white scars on the extraction sites of the scalp. However, if essential precautions are not taken, it may lead to infections.
- Other possible side effects of the FUE surgical transplant include swelling, burning, and sensitivity. These side effects are temporary and are likely to go away in a few days.
- Fue involves several sessions of 2 to 4 hours and often requires several days for completion.
- It is an outpatient procedure, which allows you to go home completion.
- Accept for adhering to essential precautions, you don’t have to interrupt your daily routine after FUE.
- Almost any type of surgeon is qualified to perform a hair transplant surgery. However, it is essential to select a doctor with a track record of successful surgeries.
In this process, a strip of hair is cut from the back or side portions of your head to extract the individual hair follicles. These hair follicles are then transplanted to the balding parts of your scalp. This process also requires micro punches to retransplant the hair follicles to the recipient areas.
The wounded part of the extraction site is stitched, and the stitches are removed after ten days.
- It is a safe procedure for eligible candidates. An adequate amount of blood flow causes the wounded part of the scalp to heal immediately.
- Other side effects of the FUE surgical transplant include bumps or scars, bleeding, swelling, pain, and inflammation of the hair follicles.
- The hair transplant usually takes anywhere between 4 to 8 hours. It is generally quicker than FUE surgical hair transplant.
- It is an outpatient-based process that allows you to go home after its completion.
- It is convenient, so your daily schedule is not affected.
- Fewer complications are involved in the process. Any dermatologist or plastic surgeon can perform a FUT hair transplant.
Which hair transplant method is best among FUE and FUT hair transplants?
Both processes involve transplanting individual hair follicles. The principal difference between them is that FUE focuses on the removal of hair follicles, whereas, in FUT, the hair strip is removed.
Additionally, FUT is not that beneficial to people with Keloid scars. Scarring is an indispensable part of surgical procedures. However, it is removable to an extent through advanced scar removal procedures.
Some of the advantages of FUE hair transplant include:
- Quick healing time
- Less pain after surgery
- No significant scar
- This process can make use of the hairs from other body parts.
- It is effective even if the patient has poor hair density.
Some advantages of FUT include:
- It is a good option for patients who require hair follicles in a large amount.
- Shorter operational time
- Affordable as compared to FUE
Hair fall can cause people to lose confidence and feel insecure. Hair transplantation is a way for them to regain their confidence and present themselves in the best way possible to society.
Both the FUE and the FUT processes are equally efficacious in treatment. It is only after consulting an expert, you can determine the process that is most suitable for you.