Quickbooks software is excellent in preparing for taxes, keeping records, generating invoices, paying employees, and other countless tasks. However, it’s just software which means it sometimes becomes prone to technical errors and faults. While working, updating, installing, etc, users can encounter errors that delay their work.
One such problematic issue is the run time error in Quickbooks which usually occurs while accessing or working on the software.
After this error pops up, you are unable to carry on your business-related tasks which cost you financially. So, this error has to be treated the moment it catches your system.
In this post, you will get everything to know about the runtime error in Quickbooks, why it shows up, and advanced troubleshooting methods. Let’s start.
Since it’s an error, it is obvious that some factors contributed to its existence. Be it human ignorance, or a technical glitch, Errors are always caused by some factors. Let’s learn them.
- Corrupt, damaged, or broken company file.
- Improper system shutdown.
- You have turned on the windows compatibility mode while working on QuickBooks.
- Virus/malware attack.
- Thor party antivirus is blocking the communication path
- There is a corrupt or damaged QBW.INI file.
The above-mentioned reasons are the major causes behind the QuickBooks Runtime Error appearance.
Does not matter, if this error occurred due to a bug, fault, or user’s ignorance, the first thing is to perform some fixing solutions. The sooner the error gets fixed, it will harm your other files less. So, let’s learn the methods for repairing QB Runtime Error and kick it out. Errors might also occur if you`re using QuickBooks Enterprise Cloud. In such cases you need to get in touch with your Hosted Virtual Desktop provider.
Most of the time, restarting or rebooting the system helps refresh the system. Additionally, all the software restarts resolving most of the issues.
For restarting your system to fix QB runtime error follow:
- First tap “Start” or press “Windows”.
- Then, hit “Power” icon.
- Thereafter, pick ”Restart”
- It may take a few minutes before your system restart or reboot, let the restart take place.
- Finally, launch QuickBooks and ensure if the problem still persists.
The inappropriate installation of the QuickBooks can cause various errors to appear. To ensure an uninstallation of QuickBooks, follow these instructions:
1- In Windows Vista/7
For uninstalling the QuickBooks in windows vista or 7 follow these steps:
- First, click “Start”.
- Visit “Control Panel”.
- Locate “Program and Features”.
- Open it.
- Check the installed software list appearing on your screen.
- Select “QuickBooks”.
- Right-tap on it.
- Hit “Uninstall”.
- Let the uninstall complete.
2. In Windows XP
- Click “Start”.
- Locate and tap “Control Panel”.
- Tap “Add/Remove Programs”.
- Look for “QuickBooks”.
- Tap on it.
- Uninstall QuickBooks by following the instructions.
After Uninstalling QuickBooks, you are required to remove the QuickBooks installation folder too for removing the chances of other errors such as QuickBooks Error 9999
1. Delete QB Installation folders for Windows Vista/7
- Launch “My computer”.
- Open “C: Drive”.
- Hit Program Data/Intuit
- Or Program Data/Common/Intuit
- Or Users/AppData/Local/Intuit
- Right-click the Folder.
- Delete it.
2. Delete QB Installation folders for Windows XP
- The locations of the folders are given below (Should work for QuickBooks 2007 or later)
- Open “My computer”.
- Visit “C: Drive”.
- Tap “Documents and Settings.
- Then “All Users\Application Data\Intuit”.
- Or “Application Data\Common Files\Intuit”.
- Delete the folder
Reinstalling QuickBooks: After removing the installation folder, it’s time to reinstall the QuickBooks.
- Visit the website or use the genuine QuickBooks CD.
- Launch Setup.
- Carefully follow instructions.
- Your QuickBooks is reinstalled.
Now, you have to Install Quickbooks Again then Need to Run & Update it.
You must resolve the QuickBooks C++ errors in order to run the QB application. Follow these:
- First, ensure if the “QBW.exe” process is not active in the background.
- Hold ‘Ctrl+Alt+Delete’.
- Visit “Processes”.
- If you face QBW.exe running in the background, tap-right on it and choose “End Task”.
- Tap “Yes” to confirm.
- After that, hold “CTRL” while clicking right on “QuickBooks”.
- Select ‘Open’.
Now QuickBooks will open up without a company file. Verify if this solution resolves your query or else choose the apply our next solution.
Renaming the QBW.INI file is proven to solve the QuickBooks Runtime Error and to rename it, you should ensure if your windows display the hidden files.
To locate the QBW.INI file, follow these steps for different operating systems:
Windows 7 and Vista:
- Visit C: Drive.
- Then, Program Data.
- Now “Intuit”.
- Next, QuickBooks [Version].
- Tap-right on QBW.INI
- Select “Rename”.
- Add .OLD at last
- Launch C: Drive.
- Click “Documents and Settings”.
- Then, “All Users”.
- Next, “Application Data”.
- Now, “Intuit”.
- Finally, “QuickBooks [Version]”.
- Right-click on QBW.INI
- Choose “Rename”.
- Add .OLD
Additionally, you can utilize the Windows search tool to find the QBW.INI file.
After successfully renaming the QBW.INI file, launch QuickBooks and the error should be solved.
We hope this informative post helped you discover the causes behind the QuickBooks Runtime Error as well as the reasons that trigger it. We have provided you with tested and verified solutions to fix the QB runtime error. Moreover, We have gathered the information from our trusted sources as well.