The art of rolling out the carpet of imagination and walking down with self-expression and originality is creative writing. Anything from personal essays, poetry, memoirs, speeches, songs to fiction writing, movie and television scripts, and plays is a part of it. To express a thought or a feeling, the use of imagination is as important as the use of originality.
Encouraged to write from a young age can help reap many benefits. Creative writing contest is an excellent way to develop emotional skills in kids. By penning down their words, kids learn to channel their emotions and develop a healthy way to express and manage them. It can lead to a journey of self-expression and self-discovery. Creative writing also aids in the development of intellectual skills. By putting their skills to practical use, one can get better at the use of vocabulary, sentence structuring, and other semantic aspects of language.
Creative writing also helps in building life skills like improving focus, broadening thought processes, developing problem-solving skills, strengthening self-confidence, refining communication skills, and aiding in organizational skills.
All these skills packed into one individual can create an incredibly positive impact. Along with metamorphosing young minds into powerful adults. And the use of such skills is not limited to writing. These skills can be put to use in all academic settings as well as in extracurricular settings.
One of the most encouraging ways to put the words hidden between the pages of a notebook is to participate in competitions. And while it could be overwhelming and scary, the pros outweigh the cons by a margin.
First and foremost, competitions are the best way to learn. Learn new skills, learn to improve old skills, learn from failure, learn from success, and learn to keep going. As a young adult, it would look good on a CV. Mentioning participation in competitions makes your potential employer believe you are proactive and ready to get down to business. Plus, it is one of the most fun ways to build that CV! And participating in competition helps get the real picture of the world you are planning to enter.
If you are ready to get your words out for the world to read, but are unsure how to go about it, here are the 5 most anticipated international writing competitions to start with:
- The Bedford Competition: If you are 17 years or above and have a short story (maximum 3000 words) or poetry (maximum 40 lines) on any theme written in English, this could be the competition you’re looking for! With a cash prize of £1,000 for the first place, £200 for the second place, and £100 for the third place in the short story and poetry category separately. For those in the age group of 17-25 stand a chance to earn an additional prize the “Cygnature Prize”.
Deadline: 31st October 2021
Entry Fee:£7.50 per entry
- Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award 2021: Since founded in 1998 by the Poetry Society, the award has given flight to the careers of many young poets. It is the largest competition of its kind with over 6,000 entries received in 2020 alone! Anyone between the age of 11-17 is allowed to participate. And as long as the work submitted is previously unpublished and original, any length of poetry on any theme is allowed for submission. Though the entry must only be in English. The top 15 winners stand a chance to get their work published in the winners’ print anthology. An invitation to attend a residential writing course at Arvon Centres or receiving alternate mentoring from a professional poet will be extended too. The 85 commended poets stand a chance to get their work published in an online anthology!
Deadline: 31st July 2021
Entry Fee: Free
- VI International Flash Fiction Competition: Organized by César Egido Serrano Foundation based in Madrid, Spain. The competition is open worldwide to anyone above the age of 14. Submission is open in Spanish, English, Arabic, or Hebrew with a maximum of 100words. The flash fiction should not be previously published, neither should it have won in another competition. The overall winner will win $20,000. Three prizes of $2,000 each will be awarded to the winner of the remaining three languages (other than the language won in the overall prize).
Deadline: 31st September 2021
Entry Fee: Free
- International Monthly Essay Contest: Organized by Monomousumi Services, the competition is open to worldwide entries. The contest holds the record title of Longest-running International Essay Writing Contests under India Book of Records 2022. During the first week of every month, participants are presented with a thought-provoking topic to pen down their thoughts in a form of an essay. Judged on the basis of the participant’s logical way of expressing their ideas, survey, writing style, innovation, and structure. As long as the essay is not copied, every participant earns a certificate for their efforts. Winners are selected in two categories: Junior Category (below the age of 14) and Senior Category (above the age of 14, with no upper age limit restriction). Winners are presented with trophies, medals, certificates, sponsored prizes, and a chance to get their book published with Monomousumi Services free of cost. A few articles are also selected to be published in their monthly magazine Weaver Magazine and upcoming books.
Deadline: 25th of every month
Entry Fee: Free
- The National Poetry Competition 2021: Organized by Poetry Society based in the United Kingdom, the competition is open to participants from around the world, aged 18 or over. All submissions must be original, not published, self-published, or published on another website, social media, or be a winner of another competition before 31st March 2022. The poem can be written on any topic in English but must not exceed 40 lines, excluding the title. The winners stand a chance to win cash prizes of £5,000 for the first prize, £2,000 for the second prize, £1,000 for the third prize, and £200 for commendations.
Deadline: 31st October 2021
Entry Fee:£7 for the first poem and £4 for subsequent entries
Grab the chance to gain experience, showcase your skills, and earn more than just rewards.