If you are a foreigner looking to become a citizen of the United States it is very important that you familiarize yourself with the form N-400 naturalization process.
In this article I will show you everything you need to know about the N-400 attorney filling but before we delve into the technical part of this process, what does the form N-400 mean?
The Form N-400 is the first step in the naturalization process. Naturalization is the process where a foreigner who is a permanent resident voluntarily becomes a U.S citizen.
How to become eligible for Form N-400.
The most fundamental eligibility requirement for N-400 attorney filing is for applicants to be at least 18 years of age. In addition, the applicant must tick any of the following requirements:
- The applicant must be married to and living with an American citizen. The applicant must have been married to the partner for the past 3 years prior to application.
- The applicant must have assumed permanent residency for the past years prior to application.
- He or she must currently be serving in the U.S. armed forces and must have served for at least 1 year. In the case of an honorary discharge, the applicant must file the form N-400 within 6 months and must also have served for at least 1 year.
How much does Form N-400 cost?
For anyone seeking to apply for the naturalization process. The current cost of the form is pegged to $725. This includes the processing fee and biometric services fee of $640 and $85 respectively.
This fee is non-refundable regardless of the outcome of your application or whether you make a mistake while filling the form. This is why you must be careful when filing this form.
Also, Individuals who are low-income earners are eligible for waivers once they meet certain criteria.
How long does it take to process this form?
The average processing time for form N-400 is at least 12 months. The speed of processing is however dependent on the USCIS field office handling your application. If you also familiarize yourself with each stage of the application, you may be able to provide the necessary details faster and speed up your application process.
Can you file your application online?
Yes, it is possible. All you have to do is create an account on the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) website and fill the form electronically. However, if you are filing the form from outside the borders of the U.S. or are applying for a waiver your application must be in paper form and be sent via mail.
Tips for ensuring a successful form N-400 application.
- You can hire the service of an attorney to guarantee a seamless application process. Although it may seem expensive it saves you a lot of stress.
- The filing fee for Form N-400 varies depending on whether it is online or by mail.
- Download and read the instructions prepared by USCIS.
Make sure you provide the right information in your application.